Friday, July 18, 2008

Book Review


A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

"The common themes of human suffering, the struggle of women to be in control of their own lives, war and nationhood, domestic violence and political forces snatching away the rights of individuals and waging endless war; these are all themes being played out on the political and social landscape in North America."
So, the strings of my heart were definitely pulled by this great novel. Even though this is a follow-up from the book The Kite Runner, I read this one first. This amazing author is very talented at telling this specific kind of story where some (well, most) of the events that may seem horrible and unbearable, like- violence, abuse, and misery- are made readable. The author really didn't gloss over the horrors that his characters live through, and there were many. There was something more about his direct, kind of explanatory style of writing and the sense that you are moving towards a redemptive ending makes the whole narrative, for all its tragedies, slide down rather easily. Now I have to read The Kite Runner, and I am sure I will enjoy it as much as I did this one.

1 comment:

Julia M. said...

You are braver than I am. I read Kite Runner and wish I had thrown it across the room and not finished it. It was too horrific. When I was through, I decided the people deserved what they got because of the awful way they live their life. I know--I'm cold hearted. But that's my true thought. You should read Stolen Lives by Malika Oufkir. That really helped me feel compassion for people in unfortunate situations. Really, that was an awesome book. You'll have to tell me how you like Kite Runner. I mean, I really do like Jacob better than Edward so maybe I am crazy. :)