I don't know if any of you are big fans of Glenn Beck, but he interviewed Louisiana's Governor, Bobby Jindal, a few weeks ago, and I am truly in awe with how amazing this governor really is. He just past a bill for chemical castration - to fill you in, in case you haven't heard about this, I have taken some of the excerpts from the interview so you can hear his stance on this issue, and a little of his reasoning behind it.
Jindal: "Louisiana has a law, had a law that says those monsters that violently rape our children should be put to death. No question about it. Obviously to go to a jury, has to have a unanimous jury verdict. An awful case got its way to the court. You had this child who literally was in a garage sorting outline Girl Scout cookies that was violently raped. It went to jury, the jury heard the case, convicted the man, gave him the death penalty. The judge -- this was an 8-year-old child, 8-year-old little girl. The Court yesterday overturned our law. I want to quote for you from this case. One of the justices said, quote: The death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child. That is absurd. That is dead wrong. If there's any crime other than murder that deserves death, clearly it is those monsters that violate our children. And here's what's really scary. When you read -- and again I'm no attorney, but read the reasoning, the rationale behind what the Court was saying. They talked about an emerging consensus. And again I'm going to quote this, a national consensus against capital punishment for the crime of child rape, end quote, that sounds to me like a legislative debate. How is that a constitutional analysis? I thought their job was to figure out what the founding fathers intended, to interpret the Constitution, not to take an opinion poll and say, well, the country seems to be for this or against this. The rationale was shoddy, the decision was shoddy. You just -- again I am so mad at what they've done here. You read this ruling and just, you can't -- as a father of three, as a governor, I can't help but be angry. And you read this. It makes no sense."
So this is what he did:
Jindal: "This past session we passed several laws to park these monsters. For example, just yesterday I signed into law a bill that authorizes the chemical castration of sex offenders in Louisiana. What is says is those monsters convicted of aggravated rape, forceful rape, second degree sexual battery, aggravated incest, molestation of a juvenile of victims under the age of 13, aggravated crime against nature, the Court can order the offender to undergo chemical castration. On a second conviction they are required to sentence the offender to undergo chemical castration. The Court can instead order physical castration and this does not buy them leniency. They must still serve their full sentences. This is not in lieu of going to jail. They still have to go to jail. We passed other bills to double the sentences on those that molest our juveniles, that use the computers to go after our children. We prohibited these monsters from wearing masks around holidays, from giving out candy during Halloween. We also prevented them from using text messages to go after our children. We increased the minimum sentence for molestation by fivefold. We closed several loopholes. We're going to give the Courts the ability to require lifetime registration. You know, these crimes have lifetime consequences for their victims. That's what was so shocking about the court decision yesterday."
Wow, I think this is great. Why doesn't every state do this? It might not stop everyone, but I believe it would help a lot. Being a mother, I am sickened with so many fears about raising a child in this world. Even though there are many good and wonderful people, there are also plenty of scary people out there that want to harm our innocent children. At least someone down in Louisiana is trying to help.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment