Friday, May 30, 2008

The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Host by Stephanie Meyer

So I am copying my friend- but I love the idea of sharing good books with others. So this will be my own little private book club where I share some thoughts on what I've been reading.

So my neighbor was reading this book, and I had heard it was pretty good- so I asked if I could borrow it. He said that he enjoyed it, and that the only thing he didn't like about it was that it was a book from Oprah's Book Club- (he's not a big fan of Oprah). Since I have usually really enjoyed books recommended by Oprah, I thought I would give it a try. I actually really liked the book, and it was a short, easy read, which is always nice once in a while.

This book is about the end of the civilized world, the dying of life on Earth and the whole spectacle of it all. It rips at your heart when you feel the love and simple relationship of a man and a boy who are on a journey to nowhere in a bleak, post-apocalyptic world. I kept thinking something would happen and change, but this book offers nothing in the way of escape or comfort but mainly reality.


THE HOST


I ordered this book from Amazon, and died waiting the week for it to come (I actually borrowed my neighbors book- since I couldn't wait for the snail mail to bring mine. It was another one of those novels that makes you wish it wouldn't end. Just like when I was reading her Twilight series, I couldn't put it down. I have often thought that Stephanie Meyer is the greatest author in the world, and then sometimes, I don't think she's that great, so I really don't know. What does it mean when a reader becomes totally invested with characters and a story line and stays up far too late reading? I think it means the writer is pretty dang talented, wouldn't you. Okay, so her language is not as poetic as some of the books out there, but we can all agree that there is more to great fiction than beautiful language. I haven't really read a lot of Science Fiction, I usually leave that for my dad. The Host is definitely sci fi, but not nerdy sci fi; it's simply a down to earth story about an alien society that has taken over humankind. Sounds strange, but I really got into it. And just as John Grisham fans (my dad) can count on certain elements in each of his legal thrillers, Stephenie provides a happy amount of romance and on-the-edge-of-your-seat adventure in her new story, too. I really did enjoy it. It was a little slow and confusing in the beginning (I think I was waiting for the title to change to "Breaking Dawn" and Edward to appear:))...but by about 5 chapters in I was hooked. I finished it in two days. (Brexton spent a lot of time on the playground and I didn't sleep.) The only problem is that this has reignited my Twilight obsession again. :) I LOVE Ian!! and Jared!!:) I didn't really care for the blah descriptions of the other planets, a little too immature, but I will definitely read the ones that follow- she mentioned on Good Things Utah that she has outlines for two more books, to make a trilogy. Can't wait!

No comments: